Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Publicity Stunts For Magicians with Joe Diamond
Feeding a Hungry Media The Sensationalism They Thrive On
What are publicity stunts and where can they benefit magicians? Magician Joe Diamond shares his tips on capitalizing on the media’s insatiable need for content.
You don’t need to go over the Niagara Fall in a barrel or stay for 44 days in a box like David Blaine did to get the media’s attention so you can get a free ride on their extensive reach into the audience who you want to serve with your magic. Joe Diamond shares his wins and losses at this aspect of marketing his magic career.
In This Episode We Discuss:
- How to use publicity stunts to benefit you and the venue hosting the stunt
- Do you have to be a big personality to do stunts?
- Understand the difference between radio, newspaper, TV and online media platforms
- Do you have to be a BIG personality?
- What type of personality works best?
- What do you think it is that stops people trying stunts?
- Where do they sit in your arsenal of marketing tools?
- How do you come up with ideas?
- How much money do you have to spend on creating a publicity stunts?
- What makes a good trick suitable for the different media platforms?
- What are the downsides to stunts? What happens if they go wrong
- How do you get the attention of the media?
- What’s the best time of day to send press releases?
- How do you write a press release?
- Tips for getting the medias attention: radio: TV: press: online
- How do you turn press into bookings and/or ticket sales?
- How do you use press to negotiate prices.
- How do you use radio & press appearances in your social media.
- The importance of creating a ‘hook’ to hang your story on
- How to play to the media’s need for content
- What tricks should you use in your stunts?
Links and resources discussed in this episode:
Thank you for listening
To get more Magician Business Podcasts sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher!
Please help by leaving a review on iTunes, they are really helpful and we appreciate you taking the time. Reviews help our podcast get noticed by entertainers, magicians and performing artists all over the world which grows our community.
A larger community means more experience to share with each other so please feel free to share your comments below.
Thanks again, Ken and Julian